Monday, August 24, 2015

Shampoo Less for Beautiful Hair

The other morning I took pause on my "shampoo day" and thought, "I can't believe I used to do this every day." Yes, I used to absolutely have to shampoo my hair every single day. It looked extremely oily if I did not. Now I've come to a place where I can shampoo every three days, and get away with it! Though I envy those who can go five or more days no shampoo, I am proud of how far I have come in this no shampoo path, and my hair has really shown the benefits.

Ines
Over five years ago was the first time this shampoo less for beautiful hair concept was even introduced to me. A beautiful young woman from Tunisia, named Ines, came to live with my family while she went to school in Boston. Ines had the most beautiful hair I had ever seen. What I learned from living with her was that she only washed her hair every four days. I did not make the connection at the time that I too could benefit from shampooing less, I just figured it was genetic.

Then over the years I noticed a pattern. I started to notice that the women I met with the most beautiful hair had something in common: they did not wash their hair every day.  So I started researching and learning that this was a thing. That first of all standard shampoos are full of chemicals that damage our hair. Then second that shampooing our hair daily strips it of its natural oils and dries it out leaving it unable to thrive and be healthy. I also heard from friends, and read online, that there is a transition period when training our hair to be washed less, that it will be oily at first. When our hair is stripped of its natural oils, our body works over time to produce plenty of oil to replenish our hair. It takes a while for our bodies to chill and adjust to not having to over compensate.

I flirted with this shampoo less concept for years, and just couldn't do it. Was overwhelmed by these women who could go days without shampooing and still look great. Then, I had an epiphany. That if I just did every other day that would be 180 days in the year that I am not shampooing. When I thought of it like that I felt like it was a big difference. I took the leap January 2013 and never looked back. 

Today my hair routine is:

Day 1: Shampoo and Condition (with natural shampoo and conditioner)
comb hair with wide tooth comb
blow dry top section of hair with big round brush

Day 2: Brush hair with a paddle brush
either wear half up, in braid or some up-do

Day 3: Brush hair with paddle brush
Use dry shampoo on roots
wear in up-do
(here is a link to some dirty hair day style inspiration!)

Note: I do shower every day, I just don't wash my hair every day.  

I have noticed that my hair is healthier and shinier then it has ever been. When my  hair was long before it was ALWAYS in a tangle, and it looked pretty dull. Now it is shiny, smooth and healthy. It is a completely different head of hair. Though part of this is adopting a wholesome, organic diet, I have seen an even greater improvement since stepping away from over washing. 

<3 Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment